- Flea & Tick
- Skin & Coat
- Rx Food
My Dog Won't Eat, What Should I Do?
Posted on 02/27/2019
Posted by Only Vet Meds
Dogs may go without eating for 3-5 days. However, if your loving pooch stops eating all of a sudden, you should be concerned as there might be need for consulting a vet or treatment using dog medications. First of all, you need to find out the cause behind the loss of appetite in your pet. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Upset stomach, pains and issues with internal organs like kidney and liver
- Dental issues affecting its teeth or gums
- Allergies, infections as well as presence of parasites
- Unappetizing or spoiled food
- Lack of variety in food and poor feeding habits
- Old age
- Behavioral issues - some dogs are too picky
- Change of environment
- Toxicity caused by certain food or accidental consumption of some other item
- Recent vaccinations
It is difficult for pet parents to find the exact cause by themselves. Here are some things you can do:
- Monitor: Watch for all unusual signs. Note down since when it has stopped eating. Also keep a check on its routine and activities - is it showing withdrawals.
- Consult a Vet: Issues like toxicity, upset stomach, allergies etc. must be immediately treated with the right pet medication. Also, the dental issues may require Rx petmeds and solutions like C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste to relieve the problems.
- Change the Food: Replace dry food with wet food or vice-a-versa. Add new flavors after consulting a petmed expert. You may also try tasty dog treats available in the market. Recall if it stopped eating after you began feeding a new food. If yes, immediately stop the food.
- Change the Feeding Habits: Don't mind warming up the food a little to see if the trick works. Avoid giving too many treats. Be sure to maintain a strict feeding schedule. Try feeding it alone and not with other pets. Or, try feeding it with other pets, if you had been feeding it alone.
- Make it Fun: Take the dog for a walk before feeding. Be playful while offering the food. One good idea is to use a feeding toy.
Most importantly, be patient to deal with the situation and shower a lot of love and care on your little friend.