- Flea & Tick
- Skin & Coat
- Rx Food
Choosing The Right Heartworm Medication For Your Cat Or Dog
Posted on 12-28-2018
Posted by Only Vet Meds
If prevention is the best cure, it implies to your loving pets as well!
According to the American Heartworm Society, there are 100+ heartworm incidences per clinic reported in many states of the U.S. There are more than 70 species of mosquitoes that can transmit heartworms to dogs and cats. Once infected, dogs may continue to carry heartworms up to 7 years, while the average heartworm lifespan in cats is up to 3 years. While these facts are alarming, you can save your pets being attentively defensive and choosing the best preventive pet medications.
Start Monthly Preventive Medications
A pet medication to prevent heartworm includes:
- Oral (pills as well as chewable tablets)
- Topical tubes
You need to be careful while choosing the best petmeds. Here are some tips:
- Oral medications are apt for dogs and cats, though the latter may not be very fond of them.
- Topical heartworm liquids are the best as the cat medications; though they work equally well for dogs too.
- Prescription from a veterinarian is important to buy the preventive cat and dog medications.
- Your pet's age and weight are important factors to choose the right medication.
Popular Heartworm Medications
- Heartgard Plus (chewable, for dogs)
- Sentinel (chewable, for dogs)
- Interceptor Plus (chewable, for dogs)
- Advantage Multi (topical, for both cats and dogs)
- Revolution (topical, for both cats and dogs)
With OnlyVetMeds, you can purchase the FDA-approved heartworm medications anytime from the comfort of your home. The reputed online pet pharmacy offers pet medications at the best prices and ensures quick delivery to your doorsteps.
- Ensure annual pet diagnostic tests against heartworm
- Use mosquito repellents to lower down the risks
- Give medications to your pet strictly at the same time every month